trick or treat

life as i know it and the world as i see it

Name:
Location: Hyderabad, India

Friday, November 11, 2005

Black Diwali

I have been seething with rage for the last couple of weeks.Something inside me has snapped big-time.
I feel angry and vengeful,bitter and frustrated.But most of all, i feel shocked and betrayed. Shocked and betrayed by the nonchalance and callousness of my government and the apathy of my fellow citizens.

On 29th october,2005 ,62 people were killed in the heart of the nation's capital in the worst terrorist attack in this country since Black Friday(12/3/1993).Since then, i have been waiting.I have been waiting for my leaders to shout from the rooftops that the victims won't be forgotten nor will the perpetrators be forgiven. I have been waiting for the PM to tell our neighbours that either they are with us or against us. I have been waiting for the opposition to pressure the govt. to bring our enemies to justice or justice to our enemies. I have been waiting for stricter anti-terrorism laws to be implemented and the police to be given more powers. I have been waiting for a response; a response like 9/11 or 7/7, goddammit. And all i have got is silence.The political debate,the news cycle and regular people have all moved on; to things like the volcker report, the bihar elections and the cricket team's good form.The blasts seem to be a distant memory.

They say that Indians are able to get on with their lives after such tragedies far quicker than people in other countries.It is said that is a sign of our courage and resilience. That's bullshit. it is a sign of our helplessness and the fact that we are resigned to our fate.Our thoughts are not 'i hope it never happens again' but 'i hope i am not in the bus the next time one of them blows up'.And when our own attitude is like that what more can we expect from our elected representatives.truly, our reputation as a soft state is well earned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home